Monday, August 3, 2009

Spicy Shrimp Pasta

I've been struggling to be creative in the kitchen. I'm not sure whether it's the summer doldrums, creativity channeled elsewhere or just a slump.

Regardless, tonight I needed help to come up with a way to use shrimp, spinach and feta cheese. The trio sounded good to me and I had all three on hand. Allrecipes.com provided the following (modified by yours truly)...
1 pound uncooked spaghetti
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons olive
8 plum tomatoes, chopped (from the Truss garden!)
2 cups white wine
1/2- 3/4 cup chopped frozen spinach
1-1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled

Cook pasta.

While the pasta cooks, saute onion and garlic in olive oil until onions are soft.

Add tomatoes and white wine. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.

Add shrimp and cook until they begin to turn white. When the shrimp begin to turn, add spinach.

Cook until spinach is warmed through. Add vinegar, spices and feta.

Serve over pasta.

After I defrosted my shrimp, I drizzled some extra virgin olive oil over them and sprinkled them with 1/4 tsp or so of cayenne pepper and Old Bay seasoning. I thought this would seal in the flavors. While this dish had some kick to it, it was not too spicy. B is not a fan of shrimp, but liked the rest of the dish and A & K both ate their servings. However, it was clearly a bigger treat to J and I. This is a meal to share with friends in the future...

No comments: