Monday, November 2, 2009

Granny's Cranberry Salad

Growing up, my grandmother made this salad every Thanksgiving. She then went out of town for Thanksgiving, but not before dropping off a bowl of this for my mom, who loved it. Sadly, I didn't realize how good this stuff was as a kid. Happily, we found her recipe a few years ago and I now make it every year. But every year, I have to search for the recipe because I always put it in a different place. For my own sanity, here is the recipe for the next time I need it:
2 cups ground fresh cranberries
2 whole oranges
1 small can crushed pineapple
1 c sugar
1 package cherry jello (small package)
2 T plain gelatin (knox's)
1 c nuts, chopped (pecans)
1 1/2 c hot water

Grind cranberries and oranges (including peel) in blender or food processor.
Drain pineapple (reserving juice) and combine with berries, oranges and nuts.
Dissolve sugar, jello and gelatin in hot water and pineapple juice.
Add jello mixture to fruit and stir well.
Put in mold or your favorite bowl and refrigerate.
My grandmother always used the same bowl to bring this to my mom - a cut glass bowl with a silver rim. Unfortunately, I didn't think to ask for this bowl when my grandmother moved to a nursing home. But I still picture this salad in that bowl every time I make it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, how I love that salad and the one that always made it! Yes, I remember that bowl too. And the love that went into making the salad. Thank you for continueing the tradition. Love, Mama

Anonymous said...

Great! I've been asking David what he used to eat for Thanksgiving. I'm going to suprise him. I hope he liked it as much as you did. -Christine

WordGirl said...

Christine - leave out the pecans when you make it for David and he'll like it more. I left them out this time around because I didn't have any in my freezer and didn't want to leave in the middle of making the salad to go buy them. It tastes just fine without them!... And I do think of Granny every time I make it!