Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Variation on the Lasagna Theme

When we created the fall menu, I tried to include items that I thought would allow me to vary the recipe while staying roughly within the bounds of trying to provide more consistent offerings to our family. So when I wrote lasagna, I thought "vegetarian lasagna, beef lasagna, chicken lasagna, black bean lasagna." I've never made a chicken lasagna, but I had left-over cooked chicken from the chicken and dumplings last week, so I thought I'd give it a try. I looked up a few recipes on allrecipes.com and decided to modify one that used a red sauce since several called for jars of alfredo sauce or cream of chicken soup, neither one of which sounded appealing to me.
Chicken Lasagna
1-2 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced
1 8 oz. bag of spinach
2 cups cooked chicken (approximately)
8 oz. reduced fat cream cheese, softened
2 cups Italian blend cheese
1 jar spaghetti sauce
lasagna noodles

Sautee onions, peppers and spinach in olive oil.
Mix veggies together with chicken and cream cheese.
Spray 9 x 13 pan with non-stick spray.
Place a thin layer of spaghetti sauce on the bottom of the pan.
Put a layer of noodles atop the sauce.
Spread 1/2 of chicken and veggie mixture.
Another layer of sauce.
Sprinkle with cheese.
Repeat noodles, chicken, sauce, cheese.
For final layer, add more noodles, the remaining sauce and a sprinkling of cheese.
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes covered, 15 minutes uncovered.

We had this with a simple salad of mixed greens, craisins and feta cheese. K (who is 5 and weighs only 32 pounds) ate three servings of the lasagna. That girl is a carb-o-holic.

No comments: