Monday, October 26, 2009

Pumpkin Soup

Sorry it's been a while since I included any actual recipes on here, but I've been short of time... here's a good soup recipe that we had tonight. Unlike my last pumpkin soup, this one has a bit of a kick to it.
Southwestern Pumpkin Soup
1-2 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, diced
5 pickled jalapeno sliced, diced
1/2 chipotle chile in adobo sauced, finely diced
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup water
1 medium sweet potato, peeled & diced
2 medium white potatoes, peeled & diced
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 can pumpkin puree
1 can black beans, drained
sour cream
fresh cilantro

Sautee onions, jalapenos and chipotle in olive oil.
Add water, potatoes and spices.
Cook for 30 minutes or so until potatoes are soft.
Smooth out with hand blender.
Stir in pumpkin puree and black beans and cook until ready to serve.
Add a dollop of sour cream (and a pinch of fresh cilantro, if you have it) to serve.

We had this with cornbread and everyone (even J, who is no fan of soup) enjoyed it! If I were making it for someone other than my children, I would have made jalapeno cornbread. I decided not to kill them with the spiciness and left the bread mild.

No comments: