Sunday, October 18, 2009

Cooking, Just Not Blogging

Once again, I've spent more time during the last week cooking than blogging. My family would tell you they'd rather have it this way than the other. Here's what we've had lately:

Mango Pork Sandwiches & Roasted Veggies
Zucchini Soup
Shredded Beef & Harvest Grains with Broccoli
Broccoli & Cheese Soup with Quiche and Vegetable Tart
Traditional Chili with Ground Turkey, Ground Beef & Kidney Beans

One thing I've discovered after trying the menu for a few weeks is that I need more soup options. When it's chilly outside, a bowl of liquid warmth is what I crave. Plus, I love making soups and my girls love eating them. Soups are a sure-fire way to pump the veggies into my daughters.

Most of these weren't new recipes, but the Vegetable Tart was an experiment that I thought was pretty successful. Here's what I did, to the best of my recollection:

Vegetable Tart
1 refrigerated pie crust
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
1 small zucchini, sliced in circles
1 red bell pepper, julienned
1 tbsp romano cheese
1/2 tbsp olive oil

Place pie crust flat on pizza pan and coat with 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil.
Spread mozzarella.
Top with zucchini and bell pepper.
Brush 1/2 tbsp olive oil on veggies, then top with romano.
Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and veggies are crisp, but slightly cooked.
I tried this tart as a variation on the tomato tart for when fresh tomatoes aren't in season. Since J is not a big fan of soup, I thought that making a quiche or tart to accompany a soup might be a solution to satisfy the whole family. If I keep pie crusts on hand, this could easily be adapted for whatever fresh veggies are in the fridge.

No comments: