Monday, February 22, 2010

Jalapeno Pimento Cheese


Thanks to surgery on my leg and the kindness of friends and neighbors, I haven't cooked a meal in a month. We're finally back to providing our own meals, which is (at this point) a treat. While I'm not up to full speed, we have a freezer stocked with left-overs from friends, so tonight we'll have a quiche from one friend accompanied by soup from another. But before we got to dinner, I had to make something I've been craving: jalapeno pimento cheese. I first discovered this treat at Mitchell Deli, but it didn't take long for me to make my own. (After all, it's a near certainty that Mitchell's version has mayo in it and I am a confirmed mayo-phobe.)

I paid no attention at all to measurements while throwing this together, but here are my best guesses for how to make your very own tasty, spicy cheese spread:

1/2 to 2/3 cup plain yogurt
4 oz. jar pimentos, drained and chopped
5-10 pickled jalapeno slices, chopped finely
1 1/2 to 2 cups finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Mix well all ingredients well. For a special treat, I topped my first sandwich with a Wickle. Yummy!

No comments: