Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Easy Doesn't Have to Mean Boring

Today was a busy day. While grocery shopping, I had planned to throw in the ingredients for a sweet potato burritos for dinner tonight. Sadly, I didn't remember this plan until after 1 pm, which wouldn't allow time for the crock pot to cook the ingredients!

Instead, we had...

Bruschetta Sandwiches
2 cups mixed roma and cherry tomatoes, chopped
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
dash garlic salt
dash salt
dash fresh ground pepper
1 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
sliced provolone cheese
hoagie buns

Mix tomatoes, vinegar, oil, basil and spices.

Marinate for 30 minutes to an hour at room temperature.

Use a slotted spoon to place the tomato mixture on sliced hoagies.

Top with provolone.

Spoon some of the oil and vinegar mixture onto the other side of the hoagie.

Bake at 400 for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.


We had friends over for Labor Day and I made Bruschetta as an appetizer, so it was on my mind as I searched my kitchen and my brain for dinner options. I also needed to use some of the left-over hoagie rolls from that gathering. This sandwich was similar to a caprese, but I actually liked it better because you could taste the tomatoes more. I will admit that my daughters would have been less than thrilled with these because the vinegar is a bit too much for them. So I served them left-over hot dogs from Monday's cookout instead.

We all had fruit salad and potato chips (hey, I said easy) to round things out.