Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Sweet & Spicy Meatballs

Tonight's a date night for us, so I wanted to put something really easy together that we can eat before heading out to a movie when the sitter arrives.

I concocted the following sauce:
4 oz. cranberry juice/sauce, leftover from making the cran/mango fruit crisp on Saturday
3 T red wine
3-4 T sweet barbecue sauce
2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, finely chopped

I poured this over frozen turkey meatballs and put them in the crockpot on low for 2-4 hours. Turn them to warm after that, so that they don't dry out.

To go with it, we'll have roasted green beans and baked potatoes. I'll throw the potatoes in the oven after dropping A off at ballet and have the green beans ready to throw in for the last 10-15 minutes.

UPDATE: I didn't feel like making baked potatoes, so instead we had fruited rice, which complemented the sweet and spicy meatballs well. I diced an apple and put that in about 5 minutes before the rice finished, along with about 1/4 cup dried cranberries, blueberries and raisins. We also had spinach salad with apples, grapes and feta cheese instead of green beans. Even when I plan ahead, I can't quite stick to the plan!

No comments: