Thursday, December 18, 2008

Pot Roast

I'll start by saying that Pot Roast is really J's Specialty, not mine. When we married 12 1/2 years ago, he told me one of his favorite meals was pot roast. I pretty quickly told him that he needed to learn how to make it because I don't like pot roast. Growing up, I can't remember eating roast that didn't have carrots in it. I hate cooked carrots and, to me, the entire thing tasted like carrots - the meat, the potatoes, all of it. Yuck. J took my experience to heart and started making not only carrot-free roast, but added zucchini part way through the cooking to have a veggie I like in there. He has changed my opinion of pot roast. One of our guest tonight doesn't eat zucchini, so it's absent from my effort for tonight (you'll note that carrots are also conspicuously absent!).

2 pot roasts, totally about 5 lbs.
5 stalks celery, chopped
2 onions, chopped
2 cartons mushrooms, halved
8 large red potatoes, cut into large chunks
1 packet onion soup mix
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup water
2 Tbsp yellow mustard
Basil
Parsley
Salt
Pepper
1/2 Red Bell Pepper, cut into chunks
1/2 Yellow Bell Pepper, cut into chunks

We're having 5 family members over for dinner tonight, in addition to our family of 5, so I decided a double batch of pot roast would get every fed and happy.

I mixed the onion soup mix, worcestershire sauce, water and parsley and poured enough to cover the bottom of a large roasting pan.

Then I put the two roasts in side by side and coated both sides of each with mustard.

After chopping all of the veggies, I put them around the sides and put a layer of potatoes underneath the roasts.

I topped with basil, salt and pepper and put it in the oven at 300. We don't eat for another 8 hours and my theory on beef is that long, slow cooking at a lower temp yields a better tasting end product.

About 1 hour before removing the roast, I'll put the bell pepper in. I like for it to retain some of its texture so that everything isn't entirely soft.

I'll pull the roast out about 45 minutes before we eat and put in yeast rolls and green beans to have with the roast.

No comments: