Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Veggie Bread Soup

1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
4 celery stalks, chopped
2 carrots, shredded with potato peeler
8-9 roma tomatoes, diced
salt & pepper to taste
1/2 tsp. basil
1 bay leaf
4-6 cups of water
left-over hard rolls

Saute onion & celery in olive oil until soft.
Add water, carrots, tomatoes and spices.
Simmer for 30 minutes (or several hours as I did).
Cut hard rolls into cubes.
Serve soup over bread cubes.
Top with parmesan cheese.

J was out tonight, so the girls and I had this after A's performance in the Greek Mythology play at school. If I had red or white wine on hand, I would have added it. It might also benefit from a bit of tomato sauce - it felt a bit thin. In spite of that, I think this was a good use of day old hard rolls. I'll probably doctor it up a bit tomorrow with one of the aforementioned ideas or a bit of beef bullion for tomorrow night's dinner.

1 comment:

WordGirl said...

For tonight's meal, I re-heated the left-over soup, added 1/2 can of tomato paste and one beef boullion cube. This resulted in a better overall soup, as B, A & I all agreed (since K refused to eat it two nights in a row, her vote didn't count).