Thursday, February 5, 2009

Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole

I am taking a meal to a friend with a new baby tomorrow and made enough of this casserole to share. I found this recipe in a Simple & Delicious magazine. I'm not normally a huge fan of their recipes since they use lots of prepared items, which makes your dishes quicker, but pricier. The only thing that's not from scratch here is the stovetop stuffing and while you could make that yourself instead of using a box, why would you? I personally love the taste of stovetop stuffing and if I made it from scratch, I'd be trying to duplicate their spices exactly. I'm sure that makes me a philistine, but there you go.

The recipe didn't call for the dijon mustard or the broccoli, but I thought the former would add a nice tang and the latter prevents the necessity of a veggie side dish while complementing the other tastes.

This recipe yielded two 9 X 13 casseroles.

  • 4-6 cups cooked chicken
  • 2 packages chicken flavored stuffing mix (next time I will make 3 packages to split between 2 casseroles)
  • 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2-3 Tbsp dijon mustard
  • 14 thin slices deli ham
  • 4 oz. swiss cheese, sliced thinly
  • 2-3 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Cook dressing according to package directions and set aside.

Mix soup, milk and mustard.

Divide chicken between 2 casserole dishes (I used a combination of cut up chicken breast and dark meat that I cooked in the crock pot with lemon juice for a light flavor).

Put ham on top of chicken, followed by sliced swiss cheese and a thin layer (less than 1 cup between the 2 casseroles) of shredded cheddar.

Add broccoli next, followed by soup mixture.

Top with dressing and remaining cheddar cheese.

Bake covered at 350 for 30 minutes.

Uncover and bake 10-15 minutes longer.

1 comment:

J said...

I told WordGirl that including broccoli in a baked dish, to me, adds a metallic tang to the whole dish that isn't very pleasant...and she said go comment on my blog! So there you go.

Consider putting broccoli on the side instead of in the dish because unlike President GHW Bush, I like my broccoli...
J