Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Vegetable Soup

J is going to the Vandy / Kentucky basketball game tonight, so I threw together a quick soup for the three girls and I.

1/2 onion, chopped
1/3 cup chopped red, orange and green bell pepper (from my freezer stash)
1 1/2 tsp olive oil
1 tsp garlic
1 can diced tomatoes
1/3 can rotel tomatoes
2 cans water
1 beef bouillon cube
1/4 cup red wine
1 1/4 cup instant rice

After sauteing the onions and peppers, I added the remaining ingredients and let everything simmer in a soup pot while I headed upstairs to the treadmill. I'm going to cook the rice separately and serve the soup over it so the rice doesn't get overcooked. I'm sure the girls will want to top this with cheese - they love to top any soup with cheese!

NOTE: I ended up cooking the rice with the soup because I didn't want to mess up another pot. We had this soup with rosemary sourdough bread and parrano cheese (both left over from Valentine's Day). While K pretty much subsisted on the cheese and bread, A & B both had seconds of the soup... success, in my book!

2 comments:

The Diamonds said...

Hi Shannon this is Kristin (I used to work with Jason) and I love reading your blog to get dinner ideas. We are having a Mardi Gras lunch at work, do you have any good Mardi Gras ideas?

WordGirl said...

Hey Kristin! Good to hear from you! A Mardi Gras party sounds fun. You could do a Jambalaya - I have a good recipe for it that makes a bunch. I think I've posted the recipe on this blog. The recipe calls for shrimp, but if that's too expensive (or some people just don't like seafood) you could substitute chicken to have a chicken & sausage jambalaya. One other option would be a shrimp creole - or you could go easy and just order a King Cake from a bakery!