Thursday, February 19, 2009

Chicken Enchiladas

One thing I've tried to do to stretch our grocery budget further is to shop every 10 days instead of every 7. It doesn't always work, but I'm trying to do it when I can. I find it forces me to be more resourceful with what I have on hand. Tonight I'm using the last of my cooked, cubed chicken from the freezer (chicken day coming soon....) to make easy enchiladas.

2 cups cooked chicken, defrosted
1 cup rice and tomato mixture (from Tuesday's soup)
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 heaping tablespoon sour cream
1 cup peach pineapple salsa
1/2 cup chopped bell peppers (from freezer stash)
1/2 onion, chopped
olive oil
Shredded cheddar cheese

Heat small amount of olive oil in pan, then saute peppers and onions. Add tomato/rice mixture and heat through.

Add chicken and 1/4 cup plain yogurt to veggie and rice mixture.

Mix 1/4 plain yogurt, sour cream and salsa together. Spread small amount on bottom on 9 X 13 pan.

Put chicken, rice and veggie mixture into flour tortillas, rolling tightly.

Pour remaining sauce over top and top with shredded cheese.

Bake, covered, at 350 for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 additional minutes.

No comments: