Monday, March 23, 2009

Crock-Pot Spiced Pork Roast

Boston Butt pork was on sale yesterday, so I thought I'd try modifying the cinnamon maple pork chops that we had a while back to a different cut of meat. Here's what I did:

4 lbs. Boston butt pork
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1 1/4 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp ground black pepper
1 Tbsp paprika
1/2 cup white wine (from freezer)
1/2 cup water

Mix spices together.

Roll pork in spices.

Cook in crock pot on low for 8-24 hours. I cycled it from low to warm and back several times, as I thought of it. If you've got enough water in the crockpot, it's difficult to overcook a Boston butt.

I poured this glaze over the roast:
1 tsp. butter
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1/4 cup maple syrup

We had this with instant mashed potatoes (yes, I am a true Philistine) and English peas.

There was plenty of pork left-over, which I'll freeze for us to have again in a few weeks when I'm in need of an easy meal.

J found the spices a bit too much, so I'll probably make this again, but I'll cut back on the amounts of the spices. I'll also pour the glaze directly over the pieces as I serve them, which will mute the spices more effectively.

No comments: