Friday, March 13, 2009

SW Stew

My mother-in-law is in town visiting and requested a beef dish. I didn't grocery shop this week (I'm trying to go 10-14 days between visits instead of 7 to stretch things out), so here's what I made with what I had on hand.

12 oz. strip steak, cubed
1 lb. ground beef
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup dried pinto beans
1 packet ranch seasonsing
1 packet taco seasoning
Splash of red wine

Brown cubed steak and ground beef, drain and set aside.
Cover beans in water and bring to a boil. Leave covered and soaking for 1 hour.
Drain beans and add remaining ingredients, along with 3-4 "cans" of water.
Simmer until read to eat (I let it simmer for 2-3 hours).
Serve with cheese & corn chips.

I would normally add chopped onion and chopped colored peppers, but I forgot to add them when browning the beef and was honestly just too lazy to do it. While they would have boosted the nutritional content somewhat, it didn't make a huge difference in taste.

For the left-overs, we put this over left-over rice to make it a bit different for the girls and even more like a stew.

No comments: