Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Roasted Chicken

A few weeks ago, J and I went to a new Greek restaurant in our neighborhood. The food was wonderful and J had a wonderfully tender roasted chicken dish. He said it was more tender than anything I've ever made, so this was my attempt to prove him wrong:

1 whole chicken, washed, skin on
3 small onions, cut into chunks
5-6 cloves garlic
2 lbs. potatoes, peeled and diced into large chunks
1 pear, skin on, cut up
1 apple, cored and cut up
1/4 cup honey
3 Tbsp dijon mustard
1 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
salt and pepper to taste

Stuff cavity of chicken with cut up pear pieces.

Place chicken in roasting pan.

Surround with onions, potatoes and garlic.

Mix together honey, mustard and rosemary.

Pour honey mustard mixture over all and cover tightly.

Place in preheated 325 oven.

Cook for 5-6 hours, basting occasionally.

For the last hour, add 2 zucchini, thinly sliced and cut into half-moons.

I'll admit this wasn't quite as good as what J had at the restaurant, which considerably dampened my enthusiasm. However, every member of the family other than me (even K!) had seconds, so it certainly wasn't a bad meal.... just not fully what I had hoped for.

No comments: